Wednesday 17 April 2013

ABS....Vs......the iWalker

A couple of mornings ago - on the daily commute into work I had a moment........not a nice moment.....and it was one where I was thanking the Shiver for its' ABS......

Traffic was very heavy......so much so that every CBD intersection was full - packed......bumper to bumper.....at this point Traffic lights were incidental....mindless cagers just crowded out intersections and hey - if they got stuck in the middle between two red lights....who cares! They have a nice mobile lounge chair to sit in........hmmmmm....

So as any commuter rider will attest - heavy traffic is a dangerous proposition....cagers, with their small minds, can get impatient and hesitant - at the same time - making them even less predictable than usual.......not something you want to be involved with.....engage GTFO.......

I was nearly at the office and was approaching the street with the entrance to the car park......I was filtering through traffic and switched to the outside of the left lane - in between the gutter and the traffic - to make my left turn < 10m ahead......mind you this is a legal use of the road shoulder........

As I came up to the corner - albeit a little on the throttle - I encountered an iWalker who popped out of the stationary traffic..........BAM! - or should I say.....Baahhhhh


This guys had his iPhone glued to his face......his AWESOME oversized DJ headphones over his ears - looking super-fly as he wandered through traffic.......good job fella!

My eyes had already spotted movement from my right and my right hand reacted before my brain processed the situation - I set up the brakes and squeezed......and squeezed.....a little rear brake to stabilize.....and squeeze....

With the aid of ABS the front pulsated slightly as did the rear - the bike pulled up hard and remained stable......by this time I was pretty much stationary.....balancing the bike using rear brake...keeping the chain and chassis under tension.....rocking, rocking, rocking....

The iWalker looked at me with bewilderment.....I was adamant not to put a foot down.....he scuttled off through the traffic.....live to iWalk another day.....

\Thanks ABS
--BitSar

No comments:

Post a Comment