Sunday 8 April 2018

Law abiding citizen - almost.

It's been almost 10 years since I've run a motorcycle exhaust with a baffle installed.

My default position is always Akrapovic, drop the catalytic converter and remove the baffle - let her breathe and encourage the braaarp.

Don't ask me why, I don't have a clever enough answer, but for some reason I felt the need to install the baffle in the Akrapovic on the MT09......ummmm - yeah, dunno?

So here goes.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of work required to get to this bolt.


You've got to take the canister off. There is no clearance to get a tool onto the bolt head, and zero chance of inserting the very tightly fitting baffle - and aligning it - whilst mounted to the bike. 

In order to get the can off, the mounting strap and retention springs have to be removed. 


As everyone who has ever fitted an exhaust canister will attest - retention springs are a bastard invention. Herein lies an industrial design opportunity. Engineer a better retention system - I've got some ideas......


All done, what was set out was achieved, baffle installed. Akrapovic muted somewhat. 




Actually, I do have a reason for trying this. 
Installing a baffle can sometimes aid in on/off throttle hesitation and backfire on the overrun. 
I was curious - OK?

A short spurt, a wheelie or two to test ride the now law abiding citizen. 
Hmmmm....nah - don' think I like that. 
.....I'll sleep on it. 

24 hours later. Restored to the state that nature intended. 
In braaarp mode. 
I'll sleep better tonight. 



\BitSar
Who counts sheep in their sleep? Count the braarps.....

No comments:

Post a Comment